Saint Joseph’s College of Marian University in Indianapolis, IN seeks dynamic and innovative leaders for multiple positions as non-tenure track Assistant Professors of Liberal Arts. We seek candidates with backgrounds in English, Communications, Biology or Environmental Sciences, Social Science (Anthropology, Psychology, or Sociology), and Humanities (History, Literature, Philosophy, or Theology). Rooted in the mission-driven desire to expand educational opportunities to new populations of students, Saint Joseph’s College will begin enrolling students in Summer 2019. We seek enthusiastic, team-oriented instructors to participate in building an innovative new curriculum and engaging this first student cohort. The institution will offer Associate’s Degrees and credentials in Business, Information Technology, and Liberal Arts through an “earn and learn” model where students are employed while pursuing their degrees. In addition to sharing the knowledge of their discipline, it is expected that successful applicants will also team-teach outside their areas of expertise.
We are looking for dynamic new teammates who are willing to pour their time and energy into building a new college; one that is well-positioned to create a new model of post-secondary education. We are looking for energetic and optimistic people who have a knack for finding solutions to difficult problems and aren’t afraid to try new things - to challenge the status-quo. As such, we expect faculty to be actively involved in more than just teaching – faculty are an integral part of the admissions process, student success efforts, and industry engagement. It is the expectation that @SaintJoeIndy faculty will play an active role in these areas.
Being flexible, demonstrating grit, and being a great teammate are absolute necessities to be on the @SaintJoeIndy team, as is an unwavering commitment to your students, and your community. If this type of work sounds like you, we encourage you to apply.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings in many areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach multiple sections of interdisciplinary general education courses and also potentially offer classes contributing to the Liberal Arts degree,
- Collaborate closely with fellow faculty and administrators in curriculum and course design,
- Coordinate with employers to blend student workplace experience with academics,
- Participate in intensive advising, mentorship, and recruitment of students.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University,
- Graduate degree (PhD preferred),
- Excellent communications skills,
- Commitment to innovative, flexible, and engaging pedagogy, including active discussion environments and project-based learning,
- Demonstrated ability or potential to teach across multiple areas and disciplines,
- Experience working with underserved students, or desire to work with those populations,
- Experience in team-teaching and close collaboration with colleagues across disciplinary and functional lines.
Marian University is located within 10 minutes of downtown Indianapolis, Marian University is one of the nation's preeminent Catholic institutions of higher learning and ranks in the Top 25 of US News & World Report's list of Midwest Region colleges, as well as Money magazine's list of Top 10 schools in Indiana "For Your Money". Marian University was founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, and the Franciscan Values that the Sisters ingrained into the university's culture are still prevalent today. The university has experienced tremendous growth in the past 10 years under the leadership of President Daniel J. Elsener, including the opening of the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013 – the state's first new medical school in 110 years. Marian University's football team has captured the NAIA national championship in 2012 and 2015 in 9 years of existence. Marian University is also home to the most successful collegiate cycling program in the nation, which currently holds 42 national titles.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2019 and remain open until the positions are filled. Applications require a letter of application, a current CV, three letters of recommendation, and evidence of teaching effectiveness, including a statement of teaching philosophy. All applications should be submitted to email@example.com.
Marian University is an EOE