Frequently asked questions


There may be words or acronyms that are uncommon to you during the admissions process. Check out our glossary to learn about what it all means!

Academic credentials

Academic credentials are the accurate and complete record of a student's academic coursework attempted at an institution, presented in either electronic format or paper format. These may include, but are not limited to: transcripts, detailed mark sheets, diplomas, degree certificates, provisional degree certificates, statements of marks, certificates of graduation, etc.

We cannot start processing an application until we receive all of the required admission materials, so please submit your academic credentials as soon as possible.  If your institution does not issue academic credentials in English, you must submit them in both the original language and a certified English translation.  

For admissions purposes, we can accept scanned copies of academic credentials from institutions outside of the United States--please send them as scanned PDF’s to If you are admitted, you will be required to bring the original and official documents with you to be verified by the International Admissions office.

Financial documents

Official financial documentation does not need to be submitted until after acceptance. You are welcome to submit your documents if you have them ready, but doing so is not required at this time as we will accept scanned documents. They will need to show sufficient funds to cover the first year of expenses and be accompanied by the Marian University International Financial Support Form

Transfer credits

International Admissions plays only a small role in the process of transferring international credits. We determine what the equivalent credit hours and grades are, but it is the responsibility of the student to meet with an academic advisor to see how these courses fit into your major at Marian University. We cannot guarantee all your credits will transfer to exact equivalents in your program.

If possible, please bring course syllabi and descriptions in English to make this process easier.

Defer or change enrollment term

If you are admitted to Marian University and choose to attend another institution, you cannot defer your current application but you would need to reapply.  It is very important to list the current school you are attending on your application and to have your new transcripts sent to ensure the most accurate and current academic information is reflected on your application. 

Your application documents are valid for a year. If you are qualified for a deferring and would like to defer/change to a different term please provide us with the following:

  • Deferring request through email or a written request (with your name and ID and which term you would like to change to);

  • Updated transcripts if there are any;

  • Updated financial documents if your financial documents have been expired

Intern for the Indianapolis Colts
Communication major opens a variety of career opportunities.
Watch Lindsey's story
Studying healthcare in Chile
Pre-med student builds cultural competencies and awareness.
Watch Htoo's story
Coming home to Indy
Award-winning transfer student is glad she made the switch.
Read Rachel's story